Switch from HTTP to HTTPS
Printer Installer supports both HTTP and HTTPS protocols to provide a more secure way of serving up web pages and guarantee that you are communicating with the intended website. The protocol settings are available in the Admin Console under Tools > Settings > General in the Protocol section as shown in the image here.
The settings are separated for applying HTTP or HTTPS to the Admin Console and applying HTTP or HTTPS to the portal. However, the recommended best practice is to apply the same option to both.
When you first log in to the Admin Console, these settings provide two available options. One option is HTTP Only, and the other is Any (specified by url). Select HTTP Only if you do not intend to use HTTPS. If you are not concerned with using HTTP or HTTPS, then select Any (specified by url), which means the browser will accept either protocol.
NOTE: By default, Printer Installer does not provide an HTTPS Only option until you configure the HTTPS settings.
Step 1: Add a Certificate/Binding to IIS
- On the server hosting Printer Installer, open Server Manager.
- Click Tools > Internet Information Services (IIS) Manager.
- In the Connections column, expand the server.
- Expand the Sites folder.
- Select Default Web Site.
- In the Actions column, click Bindings....
- In the Site Bindings windows, click Add.
- Click the Type: drop-down menu and select https.
- In the SSL certificate: field, select one of your organization's existing certificates.
- Click OK.
- Open the Windows command prompt as an administrator.
- Type iisreset.
- Press <ENTER> on your keyboard.
You can obtain a recognized server certificate from a signing authority such as Comodo or VeriSign, or you can create your own certificate, which is more difficult to implement and requires pushing trust out to any device that wants to use your server. Switching to HTTPS is only to protect you from internal threats already on your private network, so if internal threats are not a concern, then you can continue using HTTP if you desire.
- Log in to the Admin Console using the HTTPS protocol in the Address bar.
- Click Tools > Settings > General.
- In the Protocol section, click the Printer Installer Administrator Access Protocol drop-down and select HTTPS Only.
- Click Save.